Accurate Measurements Are Essential!
No single aspect of the window coverings impacts your satisfaction more than measuring. Accurate measurements are essential!
- Always use a steel tape measure, preferably 3/4″ to 1″ wide.
- Measure the width first, then the height. Width is listed first when you order the window covering, so it’s a good habit to measure it first to help prevent transposing the two measurements.
- Record all measurements immediately after you make them. Don’t rely on memory.
- Measure each window separately, even if they appear to be the same size.
- Examine the window opening for potential trouble spots, such as protruding window cranks or handles.
Measuring For Inside Mounts
- Make three measurements for each dimension.
- Measure the window opening width at the top, center, and bottom.
- Measure the window opening height at the left, center, and right.
- Record the smallest width and height measurements, rounding down to the nearest 1/8″.
- Measure the window opening on the diagonals. If the two diagonal dimensions are not exactly the same, you may wish to specify an outside mount for optimal privacy and light control.
- Inside Mounting Depth: Check shade specifications for the minimum inside mounting depth required. If the window covering cannot be fully recessed, please be aware that a certain portion will protrude outside the window opening. Remember to add any extra amount required to clear obstructions such as window latches or cranks to the minimum mounting depth.
Measuring For Outside Mounts
- Measure the desired width and height at the center of the window opening.
- Allow for the recommended overlap for the specific window covering being ordered to minimize light gaps.
- If the window has molding around it and you are not mounting onto the molding, be sure your height measurement allows for the mounting of the shade above the molding.
- When recording your measurements, round them to the nearest 1/8″.
If you do not feel completely confident taking your own measurements, please take advantage of our free in-home consultation, which includes free measuring with your order. Call or Email us to set up an appointment.
Santa Cruz County: (831) 479-1109
Santa Clara County: (408) 512-2709
Monterey County: (831) 372-1908